Immediately after your car accident
Many drivers involved in car accidents make critical mistakes in the overwhelming aftermath of the crash. Your most immediate concern should be the health of everyone involved, so you or someone else should call 911 immediately. Even if your injuries appear to be minor, always seek medical attention anyway. Your doctor or an emergency room physician can help determine if you have injuries that are likely to cause long-term pain and suffering – like whiplash. You likely will be contacted by the other party’s insurance company or attorneys almost immediately. It is imperative that you say nothing, sign nothing and agree to nothing until you seek the counsel of an experienced car accident lawyer in Melbourne.
Is Florida a no-fault state?
In Florida, all drivers must have “personal injury protection” (or PIP) as a component of their auto insurance policies. Florida is a no-fault state, meaning each driver’s insurance company is responsible for reimbursing its policyholders up to a certain dollar amount regardless of who caused the accident. Each Brevard County driver is required to carry a minimum of $10,000 in coverage, but when serious injuries occur, this is often nowhere near enough to cover the damages incurred. Fortunately, the state allows you to file an injury lawsuit if your severe injuries meet certain criteria, which can include paralysis, brain damage, broken bones and permanent disfigurement. This is when the expertise of a skilled Melbourne auto accident attorney can make all the difference in helping you restore your quality of life.
Types of auto collisions
At Couture Law P.A. our car accident attorneys consult with clients daily on cases involving many different types of collisions. While each crash type could cause serious injuries, some often are more catastrophic than others, often resulting in fatalities. Auto injury cases our lawyers handle most often include:
- Head-on collisions: Two vehicles that collide in this manner do so with such force often are catastrophic. This is they deadliest type of auto accident.
- Rollover accidents: When cars flip at a high rate of speed, motorists often suffer massive trauma or are ejected from their vehicles.
- Rear-end collisions: When hit from behind, the force of impact can cause head, neck and spine injuries.
- Speeding accidents: Speed kills, injures and maims. Severity of injuries from this type of crash increases with every mile per hour.
- Intersection wrecks: T-bone accidents are common here, especially when one driver sees fit to try to beat a red light.
- Parking lot accidents: To the surprise of many, this is the most common type of auto accident in the United States. Serious injuries are still possible at low speeds.
- Accidents involving DUIs: These types of cases are complex, as there are both criminal and civil aspects. Typically, the criminal DUI case unfolds before civil charges are filed.
We have written articles on each of the preceding. Simply click the accident type at the beginning of each entry to learn more.
Negligent drivers in Melbourne & Titusville
Many auto wrecks are caused by someone’s carelessness or recklessness, such as driving while intoxicated or texting and driving. The job of a Titusville or Melbourne car accident lawyer job is to prove that the other driver’s negligence led to your serious injuries, and to recover the financial compensation you deserve for property damage, lost wages, medical expenses and emotional pain and suffering. Your lawyer will immediately get to work collecting police and medical reports, interviewing witnesses, photographing the accident scene, speaking with the other driver’s insurance company and obtaining the opinions of expert witnesses to prepare a solid case on your behalf.
Speak with a Brevard accident attorney ASAP
For the compassion and personalized attention you deserve, contact Tara Couture and her associates at Couture Law, P.A. immediately after your auto wreck so that we can maximize your chances of a swift resolution and fair compensation. Let your lawyer work to obtain the maximum payout so that you can place your focus on recovering from your traumatic injuries. Our Melbourne accident attorneys fight on behalf of personal injury victims throughout Brevard County, Florida, including Titusville.