MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT IN MELBOURNE?
OUR ATTORNEYS FIGHT TO RECOVER THE COMPENSATION YOU DESERVE
Motorcycles are one of the most popular forms of transportation in Florida. The abundant good weather makes these cost-effective vehicles a pleasure to drive, and the large open stretches of road throughout the state are perfect for cruising. Florida has the largest population of motorcycle riders in the nation, followed by Texas and California. Sadly, Florida also has the highest amount of motorcycle accidents in the U.S. and the third highest rate for motorcycle accident fatalities.
MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT INJURIES
Injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident can be life-changing. As a driver or passenger on a motorcycle, you do not have the same physical protections during an accident as you would if you were in a vehicle. The most common injuries that occur in these events include:
- head and neck trauma
- traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- fractures to extremities
- spinal injuries
- road rash: cuts, scrapes, and other disfiguring injuries
Additional injuries may include internal bleeding, organ damage, and residual pain issues from any of the injuries received. Every accident is an individual event, and injuries will always vary.
PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION PIP INSURANCE
One of the most important reasons for you to contact a Melbourne motorcycle accident attorney concerns insurance. Under Florida law, motorcycles cannot be covered under PIP insurance, even if you have a policy covering a car. While this may seem frightening at first, the truth is your motorcycle accident case will not be held to the same restrictions as a car accident.
The injuries caused by your accident, as your Melbourne motorcycle accident attorney will explain, will not be held to the same threshold standards as other vehicular accidents. In addition to economic damages, victims of motorcycle accidents can seek damages for pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of consortium, without having to meet the PIP threshold.
TYPES OF COMPENSATION FOLLOWING A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT
While every case is different, your Melbourne motorcycle accident attorney will file for compensation for several different elements of your claim. These may include one or more of the following:
- Current and Future Medical Expenses: Your attorney will make sure that all of your current medical expenses are paid, and that you are awarded fair and complete compensation for any future medical expenses you may have as a result of your injury. If you have received a catastrophic injury, this may include lifetime medical expenses and care costs for your injuries. Your attorney will work closely with medical professionals to determine these amounts.
- Lost Wages/ Loss of Earning Capacity: You can seek for compensation for any wages that you have lost as a result of your injuries or any future loss of earning capacity due to the accident. In some cases, additional benefits that you may have received during your missed time at work — such as contributions to your retirement fund and health care premiums — may be included in this compensation.
- Pain and Suffering. This includes any and all physical and mental pain you have endured as a result of the accident. Depending on the injuries, this may also include any future suffering you may endure. Your attorney will discuss this element of your damages with you if it will be a part of your case.
- Mental Anguish. Victims and their close family members may be awarded mental anguish compensation based on the facts of the case. Again, if this type of compensation applies to your case, your attorney will discuss it with you in great detail.
- Loss of Consortium. The uninjured spouse of the injured victim has the right to seek compensation for loss of companionship, sexual relations, and marital benefits.
Protect your rights and speak with a Melbourne motorcycle lawyer about your case.
As a victim of a motorcycle accident, you will encounter many issues with the insurance companies that you would not have to endure with other types of accidents. Insurers often try to dismiss claims from motorcycle accidents as a “high risk” event that is not covered under their policies. This is simply not true.
By hiring an attorney to represent your case, you protect your rights as an accident victim. Your attorney will work aggressively on your behalf to make sure that you receive all the medical care you need for a recovery and all the compensation that you are entitled to under the law.